Google Analytics

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Mitered Self-Binding with Fleece

I finished my quilts for a friend. I talked about the piecing of these quilts in THIS POST.
Now I'm going to discuss how I finished these quilts.
When I had completed the quilting, I started pondering how to bind the quilt. I decided that I did not want to use a regular quilting cotton for the binding on an all-fleece quilt. I ALSO did not want to have those bulky seams from fleece in the binding.
I decided to use the backing and do a self-binding.
I found a way to do this that worked out quite well. Here's how it was done:

Cut off all the excess backing except for 1" all around.







When you get to the corners, you want to cut 1" chunk out of each of the corners.





When I did this myself, I didn't pin it, but I'm pinning it now, to show you each step.
First, Fold in the corners like this:


Then fold the sides down a 1/2" (in half) making them level with the quilt's raw edge.

Then fold down the folded edge again over the quilt.
Take a needle and thread and hand-stitch this corner together.

Once the edges are sewn, I buried the threads inside the quilt.


I did all the corners first and pinned those down, and then
I folded the rest of the edges down just the same.


I'll post a pic of the finished quilts in a bit! ;c)

3 comments:

  1. Gee, Katie, this is a terrific tutorial! And your quilting meander show up beautifully in the photos. What a lovely quilt you made, thak you for sharing with us here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this great tutorial. I love the way you did the corners. I never would have thought of it myself, but it makes so much sense after you see it done. I

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a great idea. Thank you for sharing! I have 4 baby fleece blankets to make and I love this idea more than adding fleece binding.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete